Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cast Away

Today is a big day at our house!

Zoe may be getting her cast off this morning.

Her and my mother are on there way to Varsity Orthopedics now, to see Dr. Q.

I, however, am there in spirit only. Yesterday's appointment with Dr. K confirmed what Aaron already knew- bed rest shall continue. It really feels like it will never end- and the things I will miss seem to loom bigger and larger in the near future.

But enough of that for now, the subject of today is the cast.

She should get her cast off and another x-ray to confirm all is healed (please Lord!). Then she will be "free" from the ball and chain of having an appendage bound. I know her mind is very busy thinking of all the things she will do once that cast off- I guarantee you a left arm will have never been more used.

The alternative to her cast coming off, is the x-ray showing that all is not healed and then my mother (through my psychic communication) will fight them tooth and nail to not have another cast reapplied. but something more along the lines of a splint or a Popsicle stick with tape! ANYTHING but the cast.

If they are able to resist my mother's persuasive arguments and they insist on re casting, then we may just have to do the water proof cast (to the tune of $200, since insurance doesn't recognize the water proof cast as a necessity)(obviously the insurance company has never tried to bathe a pre teen daughter with a bagged arm, while on bed rest) (Did I mention this daughter is crazy habitual about having her hair shampooed and conditioned thoroughly every night). So hopefully the water proof cast would take care of us having to hover over the grooming of one particular 11 year old.

So that is where my mind is this morning.

On another note, Aaron is in his last week of school. He left the house this morning before the roosters were up, after studying well past midnight for a Math test he has today (I am sure the subject matter is more complex than just "math", but when an overly sensitive pre occupied wife asks you what your test is going to be on, I guess it is simpler to smile and say "math" and not "vertex formulas and telescoping compounds"). So, my prayers are with him. Aaron continues to be stoic, and I am never certain if her is nervous before his exams or not. I am sure he will do fine!

But I do know that the light is at the end of the tunnel!! Last day of school for him is Thursday, and graduation Saturday!! The pride I feel for Aaron is thought the roof! I have such reverence for his ability to do it all- especially the way this last month has gone with him playing not only role of student, intern and supportive husband, but also, full time parent, housekeeper and all the other general "mom" duties.

So he too is near being free from a type of cast- no more school, no more books, no more test!!

....Until graduate school starts this summer :) But that is another story!

No comments: