Sunday, July 15, 2007

Plant the seed, water the soil.......and wait

We planted a vegetable garden in the backyard today! This is something I have dreamed about doing with the kids since they were way itty bitty, and I am so excited!! It is just such a great way to get outside, get your hands dirty and accomplish so much!! Such a fast paced world these kids were born into, it is neat to have them involved in something that will take time and care to complete. Aaron took a small patch of our backyard, and worked really hard removing all the grass, putting down new soil and getting it trimmed off with this really interesting metal green edging (wink, just kidding honey, I love the edging). Then the kids and I each picked a vegetable, Sid chose Corn. He did a really good job of putting his seed in these little groups. I chose Garden Bean. I am not really sure if that is just a fancy name for a green bean, but they are suppose to do really well in the late summer. Zoe did Cucumbers. She carefully covered her seeds and was very concerned that we let her do it herself. "Hello, mom I'm 8 now!!" "Okay, Zoe, I know I know!!" Even Sid is like "Zoe! do it like this" Poor girl!! Aaron is probably the only one that leaves her alone, and lets her figure stuff out on her own. Which is what she wants....and I am sure she needs.

We can't wait to have some corn, beans and cucumbers!! We will pray that God will bless our little garden.

Psalm 104:14 He makes grass grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivate— bringing forth food from the earth.

No comments: