Tuesday, April 13, 2010

That Darn Snooze Button

Did Jesus ever over sleep?

Did he ever over sleep and run late for a miracle, or was he ever too busy snoozing that he had to skip breakfast to make it to the lake to talk to the fisherman? I think not.

Not that over sleeping is a sin- I don't think it is. So, who knows, maybe he did.

It's just not very responsible- which he no doubt was VERY!

I have a HUGE problem with getting up on time- this problem started to be a daily issue a few weeks ago, and I more than likely have made it worse, by obsessing over it.

My morning "wake up" tone on my cell goes off about 5:45, and I have to be up by 6:15- AT THE LATEST. Well, at 5:45, I don't even crack open my eyelids, I turn over, noisily, and thrust my hand in the direction of the noise, usually knocking my cell phone off the bedside table and go right back on sleeping. 5 minutes later, this happens again. By the 3rd of 4th time I am now somewhat awake.

But that is when the bargaining starts within my head and it goes a little something like this.

"You don't have to shave or wash your hair this morning, so you can sleep for 5 more minutes."

Then an odd sort of prayer starts as I drift back to sleep. "Lord, thank you for getting me up this morning, I know I should be up, and when the alarm goes off the next time, I know that you will WILL my feet to swing off the side of the bed, and I will rise......" I fall back asleep, and just begin dreaming when it goes off again.

Beep beep beep!
Snooze.
Pray
5 minutes.

Beep! Beep! Beep!
SNOOZE!
Pray
5 minutes

This, for real, goes on until 6:45- so a full hour of snoozing for just 5 more minutes! Its pathetic! PATHETIC!!

And somewhere in there, my sweet husbands alarm will go off- his is set to some soft rock radio station, and I turn to him, cause he is sleeping right threw it and I shout whisper "Turn off that dang noise!!" Or something equally as classy. Unless its a slow soft song, like Kate Melua's "Just Like Heaven" or Goo Goo Dolls "Better Days" or something that helps with my prayer and my 5 more minutes. But usually its not and Aaron gets the ugly verbiage, from his wife with callywonk hair, eye crusties and a little drool.

Then at 6:45 with out fail, I sit up, look at the clock and SLOWLY it begins to register....."Am I late? Are we going to be late?" My internal talk at this point is more like mad man chatter along the lines of trying to add and subtract segments of time, that don't really matter- all that matters is that it is 6:45 and we MUST be out the door at 7:25 at the latest!!!

So I panic! I throw off the covers, I whisper shout to Aaron that I need HELP!! He stirs, but doesn't get up! I use the restroom, cause I am 6 months pregnant and when I stand up gravity does numbers on my bladder, and bolt down the hall to my sweet sleeping angels, who, much like there mama totally ignore the first 9 times I tell them "You must get up now, sweet angel, we only have X amount of minutes to go."

FINALLY at 7 AM, I am showered, and dressed, but no hair curled no make up on. The kids are yawning and putting on clothes. I am now on full adrenaline and am making lunches, slamming cabinets and shouting down the hall "Sid are you up??!!" "Zoe, don't forget your assignment book!!"

And I am so guilt ridden. I use to not be this way- I use to be fanatical about getting up on time. The kids too. And we are never late mind you- but hectic morning = hectic day and we desreve better!! They deserve better!!

So... The title of my post may seem a little confusing. Is it really the snooze buttons fault? I would say no.

I am on a mission to solve this dilemma. A miracle type mission.

It is my goal for the rest of the week to get up on time.

Maybe if I want to get up at 6 AM, I should set my alarm for 6 AM, and set the phone across the room, and set the coffee pot up next to my bed, so all I have to do is reach over and click the button and that wonderful Starbucks aroma will whip me out of any coma.

I don't know if it will- I will let you know how it turns out.

No comments: