Friday, June 08, 2007

Thank God




Our first day back, and we are so thankful that we have these amazing kids. Monday while we were in the Bahamas, Mom and our kids were involved in a bad car accident. Someone ran a red light and t-boned moms car, breaking her hip, bruising Sid and Zoe, and totalling her car. Only bruising Sid and Zoe......
They are asleep right now in their beds and it is just after midnight our first day home, and I have to keep repeating it...only bruises, bruises heal, bruises go away......we feel so lucky.
We found out when we landed in Florida and my cell phone worked for the 1st time since Sunday, and I tried to call mom to tell her and the kids we were coming home and send them kisses over the airways! Aaron and I looked out over a runway watching insignificant planes got to and fro, and Jennifer answered mom's phone and I was like 'what is she doing home? She was supposed to go back to Kansas Sunday!' Her first words to me were...".... the kids are okay.......kids are okay"
There are different levels of okay mind you, so as she began to unravel the story of the accident and moms injuries, the completely demolished car and the ambulance taking Sid and Zoe with mom, and they waited at the hospital for 6 hours, and all my mind could do was wonder 'are they really okay?' Then I began to thank God for there safety. Thank God mom wasn't more seriously injured. Thank God Sid and Zoe are okay!! Needless to say once we got home Aaron and I held on to them and didn't let go, and we kissed their cheeks and noses and ears and they got way tired of the kisses before we did, and they seemed so fine and brave and basically over it. Jennifer had seen mom's car earlier to get all of her stuff out of it. She says she has no idea how everyone wasn't more seriously injured.
God is great, but life sometimes throws you unexpected tragedies, and I know this. I pray every night that God will protect them, and I pray it sometimes during the day. Tonight I thanked God for only bruises. Only bruises, on Sid and Zoe. Mom and the kids had God's angels with them that day, and for this I will be forever grateful.
Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
Psalm 5:11b

No comments: