Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Inherited Strength

Last Sunday I woke up and I knew something wasn't right. Just that mama feeling. Just like when I woke up in Tulsa.

I went to the bathroom immediately, and sure enough: more spotting. My heart sank a little as I told Aaron and called the doctor.

And then the next 20 minutes are kind of a blur- I climbed back into bed waiting for the on call nurse to call me back, and Aaron went into daddy mode- something I can only describe as amazing. He was more stoic, more brave, more protective, more loving, more helpful, than he is ALREADY daily. For those of you who know my Aaron- he is a pillar of strength- emotional and physical: he exudes it.

Sid was just a 1st grader when we started dating and he was describing mama's date to grandma and he said "He's like a....warrior."

Ha Ha! That still makes me laugh. Everything about him screams gentle giant- huge hands, shoulders like boulders, kind heart, deep eyes, no nonsense grin.

Anyways enough about my perfect husband. I promise to list his flaws in my next post LOL

The on call nurse called me back and advised we go to the maternity triage center at the hospital I will deliver at. I wasn't surprised by this.

We prayed with the kids and mom rushed over to stay with them and we left.

It was an odd feeling as we drove to the hospital together hand in hand.

Unspoken prayers of the baby being fine (which I still felt kicking)

Fear of placental abrubtion.

Aaron preparing me to not be anxious or surprised if they give me steroids, or an IV.

His last statement surprised me, I knew steroids would be to strengthen the babies lungs quickly, and that is when it hit me, that if I did have placental abrubtion, and the baby was in distress, we would deliver.

NOW!

At 25 weeks.

I put on a brave face to match Aaron's and we prayed, and we talked about baby names, and I thought a million thoughts about car seats and cribs, and phone calls. I was getting really anxious.

Upon arriving to the hospital, the entire staff very nice.

We got into a room, which was nice, and I got into a gown and into bed. I was slightly squeamish about the fact that I have NOT been keeping up with toenail paintings and shaving- something I have now made a priority.

But really I just wanted to hear the words that the baby is FINE and I can go back home.

The nurse asked me a million questions, I signed a million forms, permission for a c section, permission for delivery, permission for neo natal care.

Once we had the fetal monitor in place and I could hear her sweet heartbeat and all those swoosh sounds from her kicks, the nurse seemed to like what she was hearing- no distress and "She has a strong heartbeat and strong kicks."

She checked my cervix, more good news- everything was still snug- NO signs of placental abrubtion!! PRAISES!

The doctor came in, and he gave his diagnosis that it was part of the subchorionic hematoma bleeding out, to continue bed rest, plenty of water and follow up with my doctor.


So back home we went and here I sit. Our relief felt almost heavier than the worry on the car ride home. I am SO thankful that our sweet baby girl will be safe in my womb for a while longer.


We keep praying.

I go to sleep in prayer and wake up in prayer. Prayer for complete healing, prayer for no complications, prayer for full term, prayer for strength.

When this little girl meets the world, I will tell her that her daddy is a warrior! And she is to0!

No comments: